Back by popular demand!
Want to be the cool house on the block come Trick-or-Treat time? Sure, the headless ghoul and ghastly sound effects – not to mention swirling fog and creepy doorbell – will go a long way. But to truly take your place in the hall of fame, you need to master The Give. To help you out, I’ve compiled a beginner’s guide to treats every kid worth her princess ball gown or his superhero cape will be looking for October 31st, along with the sure-to-scare-away equivalent:
First, the basics. Whenever possible, give:
- Candy NOT Candy Corn, Fruit, or Raisins
- Full Size NOT Fun Size or Mini
- New Candy NOT Last Year’s Easter Candy
Once you’ve mastered Candy 101, you’re ready to move on. Give:
- Chocolate NOT Breath Mints
- Sour, Sweet, Gummy NOT Atomic Fireball, Tabasco Jelly Beans
- Laffy Taffy NOT Bit-O-Honey or Licorice
- Caramel Anything NOT Coconut Anything (sorry Mounds)
- ANYTHING ELSE NOT Pecan Logs, Sixlets, Necco Wafers
Finally, when you’re ready for the Advanced Give, give these a try:
- Gross-out Candy (Zit Poppers, Gummy Tongue, Box of Boogers, Ear Wax Candy)
- Goodies you may have on hand (Beer Nuts, Clif Bars, or 5-Hour Energy)
Now that you’re all set to be the best house on the block come Halloween night, be sure to follow this last piece of advice: GIVE IT ALL AWAY (your skinny jeans will thank me come Thanksgiving!).